Peter Owen Jones dropped out of public school at the age of 16 and went to Australia to make his fortune. Back in Britain, he began his working life as a farm labourer in South Eastern England and then ran a mobile disco before moving to London where he started in advertising as a messenger boy and worked his way up to creative director. In his late 20s and with a wife and two children, he gave up his commercial life to follow a calling to the Anglican ministry by enrolling at Ridley Hall, Cambridge. In early 1996 he gained notoriety when he conducted a service for the Newbury bypass protestors.
In 1998, he ran three parishes in Cambridgeshire as the Rector of Haslingfield (Harlton, Great Eversden and Little Eversden), before resigning from his post in 2005, to relocate to the benefice of Glynde, West Firle and Beddingham. He was recruited by the BBC to front a series of religious television programmes which would look at different aspects of Christian and other faiths where he has received critical acclaim from many quarters.
In his BBC documentary How to Live a Simple Life (2009) , Peter tried to live a life without money, in the footsteps of Saint Francis of Assisi. His 2010 documentary, The Lost Gospels, discussed the Apocryphal Gospels which were omitted from the canon of the New Testament, and he considers how their contents might have altered Christian theology if they had not been suppressed.
Peter has written the following books:
- Bed of Nails: An Advertising Executive’s Journey Through Theological College
- Small Boat, Big Sea: One Year’s Journey as a Parish Priest
- Around the World in 80 Faiths
- Letters from the Moon
- Letters from an Extreme Pilgrim: Reflections on Life, Love and the Soul
He has been involved in many outstanding television productions :
- In Search of England’s Green and Pleasant Land
- The Power and the Glory
- The Battle for Britain’s Soul, a history of Christianity in Britain
- The Lost Gospels, a documentary on the ancient gospels
- Extreme Pilgrim, in which he lived as a Chinese Buddhist monk, a Christian monk and an Indian ascetic
- Around the World in 80 Faiths, a travel documentary encountering different religions
- How To Live A Simple Life, a three part series, in which Peter tries to turn his back on consumerism